[Proj] geoid in Kalimantan, Indonesia

Frans Buschman F.Buschman at geo.uu.nl
Wed Mar 5 06:03:12 EST 2008

Hello,

In a coastal region in East Kalimantan, Indonesia, we measured with a GPS promark3 system height differences of several water level gauges with respect to the WGS-84 ellipsoide and datum. The stations are about 30 km apart and we think that the precision of the measurements is within 10 cm.

>From the water level gauges we want to see in what direction water should be flowing, so we want the want to derive the height differences with respect to a geoid. For Kalimantan no detailed geoid seems to exist, so I would like to convert measured height differences on the WGS-84 ellipsoide to height differences on a global geoid. Which geoid is best for this purpose and how can I make the conversion? Could you give an estimate of the error you make with this conversion?

Thanks!
Frans

Frans Buschman (PhD student)
Department of Physical Geography
Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research Utrecht
Utrecht University
P.O. box 80.115 / Heidelberglaan 2
3508 TC Utrecht, the Netherlands
Room 211 in Jan Zonneveldvleugel