[Proj] geoid in Kalimantan, Indonesia

Andrew Williams AWilliams at rapidmap.com
Thu Mar 6 01:44:14 EST 2008

Frans,
I tend to agree with Clifford. As a surveyor myself and having used the ProMark3's in anger I can say the manufacturers specifications leave the whole "accuracy depending on atmosphere" open to interpretation. When I read your post I assumed you'd performed a static differential survey with a pair of ProMarks to build a network including your tide gauges. If you have simply positioned your Promark above the tide gauge and observed for 20 or 30 minutes then your results are likely to be poor.

I have always used a rule of thumb that the vertical accuracy of a GPS is about 2.5-3 time worse than the quoted horizontal accuracy in RELATIVE terms. What you're trying to do is perform a gravity survey in ABSOLUTE terms. I've done countless surveys for irrigation over vast tracts of land. They key here is you need an accurate vertical geoidal model upon which to base your survey. Typically I've had the benefit of connecting to existing bench marks that were leveled with spirit or optical leveling techniques. Since both the spirit or optical levels are affected by gravity you have a great framework for basing your GPS survey.

Most of my work has been using Thales/Magellan DSNP Dual Frequency Long Range Kinematic GPS. They way we use this is to set up a base station in a convenient location.(Usually a high hill/mountain) within 40km of the job. There will be surveyors reading this saying I'm crazy, but believe me Thales mean LONG range kinematic.
Anyway I'd observe a network of previously established bench marks with Horizontal and vertical coordinates. That would establish my survey reference framework. After that any new or unknown points would then be coordinated relative to this framework.
In your case you may not have this network of existing "control". This is the challenge. I have transferred control using the above technique. What that means is as you survey points that are unknown as above they become "known". You can then pick up your equipment, transfer it to a convenient location closer to job site and use then new benchmarks as control for the new site.
This is not a job to be taken lightly. I'm also not too sure what the terrain is like in Kalimantan but I assume difficult to traverse.