[Proj] Re: Transverse Mercator algorithm with good accuracy/speedtrade-off?

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Sat May 24 13:14:29 EDT 2008

It's not purely an "academic" horse if you practice in the oil patch.  Reservoir engineers want a system recognizable to them and don't really care about practical geodetic applications, ... just solutions to their own problems and UTM is the way they want to go.

You're not going to succeed in educating the entire world's Oil Patch industry.

There are practical applications to this even if a classical cartographer is ignorant of the reasons.

The horse ain't dead, just maybe the jockey.

Cliff Mugnier