[Proj] Re: Transverse Mercator algorithm with good accuracy/speedtrade-off?

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sat May 24 13:49:16 EDT 2008

On Saturday 24 May 2008 1:14 pm, you wrote:
> It's not purely an "academic" horse if you practice in the oil patch.
> Reservoir engineers want a system recognizable to them and don't really
> care about practical geodetic applications, ... just solutions to their own
> problems and UTM is the way they want to go.

I do not think of UTM as simply a "practical geodetic application" especially
since it was championed by the military as a mechanism to standardize mapping
and help artillery FOs in their job.  Indeed, if we are to champion practical
application we should educate the oil patch industry to find better
solutions.

A practical problem with UTM and its longitude limit is that if one proceeds
too far to the west the grid system goes negative---a fatal situation for
those who can't handle signed numbers.  If you change the X offset to
compensate please be careful to NOT use the term UTM as the name of the new
system(s).

> You're not going to succeed in educating the entire world's Oil Patch
> industry.

It is a noble undertaking to educate the ignorant.

> There are practical applications to this even if a classical cartographer
> is ignorant of the reasons.

Please explain and justify.  I do not understand the use of the
term "classical." I am just discussing practical, reasonable and proper
usage.

> The horse ain't dead, just maybe the jockey.

:-)

> Cliff Mugnier

As an aside: I was never able to get Dozier's procedure to properly function
in the nearly +/-90 longitude situation and communications with Dozier seemed
to indicate that his interest in the problem had waned.

-- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939)  British psychologist