[Proj] Re: Transverse Mercator algorithm with good accuracy/speed trade-off?

strebe strebe at aol.com
Sat May 24 14:48:53 EDT 2008

Gerald I. Evenden writes:

_______
It seems worthless to expand the longitudinal accuracy of the projection as
long as the scale error and usefulness also goes to hell at the same time.
The useful range for the tmerc is in the immediate vicinity of the central
meridian so why bother worrying about extending computational accuracy in the
longitudinal direction?
_______

Do you have a better suggestion if you need a single projection over a broad area?

Didn't think so.

Regards,
-- daan Strebe

Ahhh! Sigh, Deja vu all over again. I thought we beat this dead horse and
Dosier several years ago.

It seems worthless to expand the longitudinal accuracy of the projection as
long as the scale error and usefulness also goes to hell at the same time.
The useful range for the tmerc is in the immediate vicinity of the central
meridian so why bother worrying about extending computational accuracy in the
longitudinal direction?

Enough is enough. Please.