[Proj] Any access to geodetic functions ??

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Nov 12 09:50:04 EST 2008

If 1 percent accuracy is enough, I think you can use spherical formulas
with a fixed Earth radius. You can find good formulas in the Aviation Formulary
of Ed Williams, http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm .

For the fixed Earth radius, I would choose the average of the
    c   = radius of curvature at the poles,
b^2 / a = radius of curvature in a meridian plane at the equator,
since these are the extreme values for the local radius of
curvature of the earth ellipsoid.

If your coordinates are given in WGS84, then
    c   = 6 399 593.626 m,
b^2 / a = 6 335 439.327 m,
(see http://home.online.no/~sigurdhu/WGS84_Eng.html )
so their average is 6 367 516.477 m.
The maximal error for distance calculation should then be less than 0.51 percent.

When computing the azimuth between two points by the spherical formulas,
I think the maximal error on WGS84 will be 0.2 degrees, at least if
the points are not too far away (less than 1000 km apart, say).
The error should be maximal near the equator, for azimuths near northeast etc.

I am not sure about the spherical errors for the forward geodetic problem:
point positioning given initial point, distance and azimuth.

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
Box 11354
SE-404 28 Göteborg