[Proj] Any access to geodetic[sic] functions ??

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 13 01:36:33 EST 2008

Clifford J Mugnier wrote:
> NGS no longer presents a "competitive" presence in software.  The NGS is
> an agency of NOAA, and now considers its software as public domain.
> Everything is open and free to the public.  NGS only deals with civilian
> applications of geodesy and they do nothing of a classified nature.  NGS
> is not a secret organization like NGA must be for the U.S. Military.

I don't think anyone was suggesting there was anything secretive about
it -- after all I work for NOAA too!

I just didn't see the code on a quick glance at the page. And in any
case, old FORTRAN code for a few command line utilities doesn't quite
satisfy the need for a library -- though I'm sure it's worth looking at
and testing against.

Anyway, this all started because people ask about it a lot, and while
pointing them to that page will answer the questions, it won't be as
easy for folks as a C lib with a clean API -- it's not that big a deal,
only a handful of functions, really.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov