[Proj] Mugnier's columns / old German maps / von Müffling

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Mon Nov 17 11:23:46 EST 2008

Hello,

I found the posting below on the Proj list (24-7-2004). Prof. Mugnier
mentions his Internet-columns, but the URLS he mentions do not exist
anymore. Are they still available?

More in particaular, I am trying to georeference the Tranchot-Map of the
Rhineland in Germany, surveyed by French ingénieur-géographes under
Colonel  Tranchot from 1804-1813, and by Prussian Ingenieurgeographen
under General von Müffling from 1815-1828. Much geodetic information
about this survey is available in "Rudolf Schmidt, Die Kartenaufnahme
der Rheinlande durch Tranchot und vond Müffling. Teil I: Geschichte des
Kartenwerkes und vermessungstechnische Arbeiten, Bonn 1973", but  if
someone on this list has further information about this map and the way
it was made, I would very much like to hear about it.

Jan

Dr. J. Hartmann
Department of Geography
University of Amsterdam

Clifford J Mugnier wrote:

 > Maciek,
 >
 > I was surprised to hear of a Transverse Mercator projection on such
an old
 > topo map of German territory since it was so difficult to compute by
hand.
 > Remember now, that Gauss was the first to use it in the early 1800s (for
 > the survey of Hannover), and he had a staff of several Ph.D. students
to do
 > the "grunt" work for him.  Its main purpose (the Gauss-Conform TM), for
 > Gauss was to facilitate the survey computations rather than to be
used for
 > a cartographic projection.  The subsequent plane-table mapping for
 > cadastral surveying (tax mapping) probably was on the Müffling projection
 > because it was so "easy" to cast under field survey conditions.
 >
 > The most common projections found in old German applications were the
 > "Solnder" (nowadays called the Cassini-Soldner) and the "Müffling."  Both
 > are aphylactic projections, although the Cassini-Soldner is slightly
closer
 > mathematically to the Transverse Mercator than the Müffling.  The more
 > common name for that projection is the Polyhedric or the "Polyeder."
 >
 > The ellipsoidal Müffling uses the identical mathematics as the
 > two-dimentionsional version of the 3D "Local Space Rectangular" (LSR)
 > coordinate system used in 3D computational photogrammetry.  It is
(almost)
 > the ellipsoidal equivalent of the gnomonic projection.  ALL aphylactic
 > projections (Müffling/Polyeder, Cassini-Soldner, Bonne, and
Polyconic) were