[Proj] Datum shift for Dutch maps 1850-2000

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Nov 26 09:38:02 EST 2008

Well, changing the ellipsoid seems to help. The ellipsoid that is
officially documented for this map, and the one I have been using has
+a=6376950.4 +rf=309.65.
This gives the 650m Nord shift. Replacing this ellipsoid by the Bessel
ellipsoid (a=6377397.155, rf=299.1528128) gives a 50m South shift.
Again, I am reprojecting to the present projection which has a Bessel
ellipsoid. I can see that the first ellipsoid has a significantly
smaller semi-major axis than the second one. Does this explain the  Nord
shift?

BTW, you say in your column that the ellipsoid for this map was indeed
Bessel. Where did you get that information from?

Jan

Clifford J Mugnier wrote:
 > For that difference in dates, a mostly northerly shift is entirely
due to something else other than different datums.  Timekeeping back
then was far from today's accuracy, and therefore the major shift is
ALWAYS East-West with some difference in Northings.  Furthermore, church
towers are intersection stations and were not occupied.  Those points
normally have the least accuracy even though they generally are the
longest-lasting.

www.ASPRS.org/resources/grids .