[Proj] GeoTiff <-> Proj.4

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 3 08:49:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Gerald I. Evenden
<geraldi.evenden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2008 9:14:13 am support.mn at elisanet.fi wrote:
>> Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> kirjoitti:
>> > The page at:
>> >
>> >   http://geotiff.maptools.org/proj_list/
>> >
>> > represents a "best effort" attempt to document the
>> > correlation between geotiff definitions and proj.4
>> > (as well as EPSG and OGC WKT).
>
> I have already added some comments (probably unwelcome) about the contents of
> the above web site although I do issue kudos for the thought and effort
> behind it.

Gerald,

I would stress that the size terminology is based on EPSG
terms, and EPSG is the basis of GeoTIFF (for better or worse).

I shall mark your and Janne's email for future reiew, but
even if I am able to correct a few things I won't be attempting
to address the terminology question.

> WE ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF A COMPREHENSIVE, ACCURATE
> AND RELIABLE REFERENCE OF CARTOGRAPHIC PROJECTIONS.

I would love for such a thing to exist in a form that can be easily related
to various software systems and file formats. I would love to see such
an effort attacked as a "MetaCRS" effort - that is collaboratively amoung
the various experts here, the CS-Map community and some of the other
OSGeo coordinate system efforts (ie. GeoTools).