[Proj] Terminology for origins

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Oct 3 11:18:48 EDT 2008

In North Africa, several of the Grids also have a False Northing at the False Origin in order to avoid negative northings.

Really!

:-)

Snyder's terminology explicitly referred to Grids only in the United States and used by the U.S. Geological Survey.  Others have adopted his terms and mistakenly applied them to other countries and regions.  For the most part, the old British General Staff, Geographic Section from WWII really defined practically all of the components of existing Grids.  When Snyder had questions about large-scale coordinate systems, he commonly referenced me.  For the proper terminology in English, I'd defer to the current British Military Survey as the final authoritative source.  The U.S. Military has really cobbled up an awful collection of erroneous terms.

Lord help you for the equivalent terms in other languages ... French is a particular zinger because their terms seem to have zero relation to the English terms.  Castilian Spanish would likely be a similar enigma.

For instance, the original uses for the following terms were:

Grid - Aphylactic projections ( Cassini-Soldner, Polyhedric, Polyconic)
Zone - Lambert Conformal Conic & Ellipsoidal Bonne
Belt - Transverse Mercator

Cartesian systems for the Oblique Mercator, the Krovak, the Rosenmund, the Hatt did not have explicit terms.

Since then, such things have eventually been considered to be synonomous.  Once upon a time, they were not.

Cliff Mugnier
LSU