[Proj] Distance calculation

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Tue Oct 14 16:28:11 EDT 2008

It was Thaddeus Vincenty, not Thomas.

The "exact" solution was published by Dr. Michael E. Pittman in Surveying and Mapping in the early 1980s with Fortran code.  Vincenty agreed it was more accurate and pointed out a couple singularities that Pittman later fixed.  Pittman's geodesic was adopted by the USAF as the absolute "standard" in which any disagreement with Pittman's inverse showed what error the other method had.

Pittman's direct and inverse geodesic was later reviewed and extensively examined by academics "down under" earlier this year.

C. Mugnier
LSU