[Proj] Distance calculation

Paul B. Anderson pbander at cavtel.net
Wed Oct 15 08:06:39 EDT 2008

- Hi Everyone,

Not exactly on topic, but, I thought I would toss this out as another
distance calculation resource.

In the early 1990s I worked as a Visual Basic programmer for a government
contractor on a Pentagon War Gaming contract. My task was to develop a
'digital' sand table. One of the capabilities I was asked to put into the
program was the ability to measure distances between two points. Sol Katz
pointed me toward the 'Aviation Formulary' [
http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm ] when I asked him for help. The
formulas there may not have the accuracy you are discussing, but they worked
well for the application I developed.

Take Care,
Paul

Paul B. Anderson FCCS (USN, Retired)
Kingsport, TN native living in Norfolk, VA
My Map Projection web site:
http://www.csiss.org/map-projections/index.html