[Proj] Distance calculations

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Thu Oct 16 03:07:13 EDT 2008

Let's throw in Saito.
He investigated this matter rather thoroughly in two papers. Sadly his first
paper contains subtle but serious errors, but his second paper is nearly a
dream. He sets up the integrals leading to distance and azimuth of the
geodesic and he solves them with Gaussian quadrature. This can be done with
nearly arbitrary precision. However, he gives several procedures -
especially in his first paper - to get more accuracy in difficult regions if
you've got only a handful of bits computer precision, like IEEE 754.

Tsutomu Saito, The computation of long geodesics on the ellipsoid through
Gaussian quadrature, Bull. Geod. 53 (1979), pp. 165-177

First paper: The computation of long geodesics on the ellipsoid by
non-series expanding procedure, Journal of geodesy, vol. 44, no. 4, Dec.
1970.

Sadly, these papers are not on-line for free.
Somebody has put a probably not legal copy on an educational web site. Let's
not publish the url...

Oscar van Vlijmen