[Proj] Distance calculations

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 16 12:04:30 EDT 2008

I've got a question:

I understand how these issues can be academically interesting, but is
there any practical difference?

Surely the ellipsoidal model of the earth is an approximation anyway --
how accurate is it, and are the difference between the various
algorithms under discussion really larger than the error inherent in the
ellipsoidal approximation?

Just wondering, it's the engineer in me.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov