[Proj] Troubles with Newton-Raphson inverse projections

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Sun Oct 19 01:25:43 EDT 2008

"Gerald I. Evenden" <geraldi.evenden at gmail.com> kirjoitti:

> Secondly, finding the root may also be difficult when the precision of the
> derivatives start to fail.  This is the case near the poles of both the
> Hammer and Aitoff projections.  At a latitude greater than 89° the method
> fails for both these projections.  One also gets suspicious that this will
> occur when the nature of the curve flattens out like the top of a sine curve.
> I have not tried the flat pole Winkel Triplel yet.

Can't you just switch the method near poles? Something like:

if (lat > 88) use_special_derivatives();
else use_normal_derivatives();

And figure out from the formulas (code) what is causing the problem near poles
and then eliminate that by using something that is more efficient near poles.

Regards: Janne.