[Proj] Scale factor for Transverse Mercator

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 22:18:05 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 3:01:01 am Mikael Rittri wrote:
> Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> > Thus the combination of highest speed and best precision goes to Denmark.
>
> Darn. And Sweden didn't do very well in the Olympic Games, either.
>
> > When it gets to the bottom line, there seems to be little purpose in
> > extending Transverse Mercator beyond its useful limits of 3 degrees.
> > And if there is a demand to ultra wide extent then the spherical form
> > will serve equally well.
>
> I'm curious: what you say about scale factor variation would be equally
> true for ordinary Mercator - at least if I tilt my head 90 degrees like
> this ;-)

Mercator is probably the most abused projection.

If I recall correctly, Equador uses Mercator as a grid system projection and
it would be an appropriate choice for any area on the equator with
predominant E-W extent.

The tradition is to use Mercator for navigation charts presumably on the
factor that you can chart rhumb line paths.  With modern navigation tools the
choice is mute.

Mercator as a world map is an abominable choice.  Pick an equal area.

> So, would you say that an implementation of ordinary Mercator should
> use ellipsoidal formulas only within 3 degrees of latitude from the
> equator?  And that farther away, one should use spherical Mercator
> formulas?

Ellipsoidal form is proper for large scale navigation charts.

> Speaking of spherical projection formulas, I'd like your opinion about
> what kind of geodetic datum that can be associated with a spherical
> projection:

Does it make any difference.  Snyder liked to use an R in his spherical
computation examples that was based upon a sphere with the same surface area
of the Clarke 1866 ellipsoid.  For large scale maps try the mean radii of the
parallel and meridian at the latitude of the map from your ellipsoid of
choice.