[Proj] Unknown projection?

Paul B. Anderson pbander at cavtel.net
Sat Sep 13 12:26:58 EDT 2008

- Janne,

The difficulty comes about because the Tripel is actually composed of 2 map
projections -- the Aitoff (pronounced 'I-toff') projection averaged with the
Equirectangular projection (which provides the Special Parallel input). Yes,
there are inverse formulas out there for the Tripel, but the values produced
are approximations.

One person who has researched the inverse Winkel Tripel formulas issue is
Dr. Robert Schmunk http://www.giss.nasa.gov/staff/rschmunk.html

BTW, a reference for this map projection is Snyder's 'Flattening the Earth'.

Paul B. Anderson FCCS (USN, Retired)
Kingsport, TN native living in Norfolk, VA
My Map Projection web site:
http://www.csiss.org/map-projections/index.html