[Proj] Unknown projection?

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 13:40:12 EDT 2008

On Saturday 13 September 2008 12:26:58 pm Paul B. Anderson wrote:
> - Janne,
>
> The difficulty comes about because the Tripel is actually composed of 2 map
> projections -- the Aitoff (pronounced 'I-toff') projection averaged with
> the Equirectangular projection (which provides the Special Parallel input).
> Yes, there are inverse formulas out there for the Tripel, but the values
> produced are approximations.
>
> One person who has researched the inverse Winkel Tripel formulas issue is
> Dr. Robert Schmunk http://www.giss.nasa.gov/staff/rschmunk.html
>
> BTW, a reference for this map projection is Snyder's 'Flattening the
> Earth'.
>
> Paul B. Anderson FCCS (USN, Retired)
> Kingsport, TN native living in Norfolk, VA
> My Map Projection web site:
> http://www.csiss.org/map-projections/index.html

I can't find any reference on his website to research on Winkel Tripel so I
suspect he has not published it.

I take back my comment on ease of solution but it would seem to be invertible
using iterative techniques---but slow.  Accuracy should only be dependent
upon how many cpu ticks you want to give it.