[Proj] Normal vector to a point on an Earth ellipsoid

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 12:02:11 EST 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 10:54:22 am Ung wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is there a function within Proj4 that would return a representation of a
> normal vector to a point on an Earth ellipsoid? Perhaps something like:
>
> getNormal( projPJ my_cs, double x, double y, double z )
>
> Would be grateful for any clues!
> -ung

Sounds like an ENU coordinate but that is *not* part of a projection
operation.  I will probably put a function like that in my geodesy library
but it is more related to XYZ geocentric system with a translation rotation
involved---translation of the geocentrin origin to a local point and rotation
about this point.

But an ENU has *nothing* to do with projections as the XY (Easting-Northings)
in projections have no relationship to the XY in EN even though the EN stands
for Easting-Northing.

It is unfortunate that the ENU designers stole the projected space
nomenclature.

If you are just concerned with a z value you would have to "pass it around"
the projections operation.