[Proj] gaus-kruger projection

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Fri Feb 6 05:06:47 EST 2009

There is no need to recompile proj.4. Gauss was a very productive guy.
I don't think the pj_gauss.c has anything at all to do with Gauss-Kruger

projection.

My answer is:

The projection method that is usually called "Gauss-Kruger" in
Europe (and Asia?), is the same as the one that is usually called
"Transverse Mercator" in USA.

(There are also some slightly different projection methods, that should
 have the right to be called "a kind of Transverse Mercator", but which
 differ from Gauss-Kruger.  For example, Gauss-Schreiber.  They are
 discussed on this list now and then, but I don't think you need them.)

So, just use

    +proj=tmerc

to implement what you call Gauss-Kruger.

Pieter Bosch wrote:
> if so, what is the parameters to use.

If you mean the names of the parameters, they are the usual ones:

 +lat_0 // central latitude.  Often zero, but not always.
 +lon_0 // central longitude (for the central meridian).
 +k     // scale factor on the central meridian.
 +x_0   // false easting
 +y_0   // false northing
 +ellps // ellipsoid
 +datum // datum (it is better to use +datum instead of +ellps, I think)

 +units // the length unit of projected coordinates
 +no_defs // I've never quite understood this one, sorry.

I think x_0 and y_0 should normally be expressed in meters (because
that's the length unit used for the predefined ellipsoids), even
if +units specifies that projected coordinates are in feet, say.

But, if you mean "what values of the parameters should I use",
that would depend on what instance of the Gauss-Kruger projection
that you want to implement.  You haven't told us that.  Do you have
a name for the Coordinate Reference System, or the country name and
and a Gauss-Kruger zone number?

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
SWEDEN