[Proj] Building for and calling from g95-MinGW

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 10:09:36 EST 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 7:01:00 am Jan Hartmann wrote:
> Long ago, I did this using named common blocks and extern C structs. Why
> won't you use named common blocks? I understand the dangers of the
> unnamed common, though.
>
> Fortran 90 seems to have more possibilities for data representation. I
> never worked with it, but see an example at:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2008-01/msg00170.html
>
> Jan

My original question was not a particularly serious one and I was only
interested if there was a trick to using FORTRAN that I was unaware of when
dealing with C[++] structures.

I am aware of the 'common' usage and that was why I was trying to excude it
from the conversation.  'common' is quite restrictive compared to general
usage of passing structures and pointers through program processes.

The only other point that I would make about intermixing FORTRAN and C[++] is
that I would only consider using C as the entry mechanism and any FORTRAN
code would be processes called by C.

Because of my personal history of starting with machine language and then
graduating to Balgol 58 and then Algol 60 before being sent into the
purgatory of what I call the "Dark Ages" where I was forced to use FORTRAN
for several years, I have a rather jaundice opinion of the language.