[Proj] The trouble with grid datum correction files

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Jul 5 08:29:26 EST 2009

Christopher Hunt wrote:

> I do not claim to fully understand the context of the issue here, but
> as a software developer I have an expectation for portable binary data
> to be presented in big endian form.

I guess that you're not familiar with Windows ;)

Microsoft even invented UCS2-LE (all of the standard Unicode formats
are big-endian) so that it could read text files directly into memory
without any deserialisation.

The biggest factor in favour of big-endian formats is the dominance of
little-endian architectures: if you forget to deal with endianness
issues, you'll find out sooner rather than later.