[Proj] Need help converting Goode to latlon

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:18:39 EST 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009 1:12:02 pm David Turover wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:56:19AM -0400, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 July 2009 1:14:46 am David Turover wrote:
> > > The jpeg is the result of attempting to reproject from Goode to
> > > geographic coordinates. I have confirmed with an ESRI tool that the
> > > original shape is in Goode, so the problem is in my use of proj.
> >
> > I am sorry, but the above sentence makes no sense to me.  What does the
> > jpeg figure have to do with anything then?  It is not a representation of
> > "geographic coordinates" but a display of said coordinates in a
> > particular projection.
>
> The jpeg shows my Goode-to-latlon results laid onto Google Earth as
> coordinate-based KML so my output can be compared against Google Earth's
> known-good representations of country positions in lat/lon coordinates.
> Since they do not line up, I am doing something wrong. I hoped the picture
> might offer more experienced people a hint as to the specific problem.

I do not know when Google became the benchmark for projection stardards but
that is another issue.  Secondly, comparing results graphically, especially
with a projection like nsper, leaves something to be desired.

In the future, I woult strongly suggest that in seeking verification of
projection operations that a short, randomly selected collection of the
source data values being converted be given and simply ask for a conversion
of these values from a knowledgeable source.

> > It would appear that your original data is in Goode projection
> > coordinates and you want to *inverse project* these values to geographic
> > coordinate.
>
> I forgot to mention that I have been adding "+inv" to the proj arguments
> programmatically. When I get into work I will make sure this is working
> and I will also try leaving it off to see if that makes a difference.
> Let's watch this be the source of the problem since it is something that
> I should have mentioned two days ago.

I have no idea what "+inv" is so I assume it is part of Warmerdam's version.
Early proj and lproj use -I runline option to designate inverse projection.

#!/bin/bash
# run off a few test examples of Goode projection
lproj +proj=goode +R=6378137.0 <<EOF >test_cart.dat
0 45
-80 30
-120 -10
60 50
10 10
EOF
#
# run the cartesian file back to geographic coordinates
#
lproj -I +proj=goode +R=6378137.0 <test_cart.dat >test_geog.dat
#
echo done

after running above script:

gie at charon:~/tmp$ m *.dat