[Proj] Rotated Polar Stereographic Projection in Proj4

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:37:59 EST 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 2:40:53 pm Alexander Jarosch wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a rather simple question, but I could not find any documentation
> so far on how to do this with proj4. A college of mine has maps on a
> "polar stereographic projection" with the following details:
>
> Pole_lat = 50.0
> Pole_lon = -150.0
> Central_lat = 50.0
> Central _lon = -126.0
>
> These are the definitions he gave me. Now I think this is a
> stereographic projection with a given pole lat/lon and should maybe not
> be called polar stereographic, but that is not the problem. I want to
> set up proj4 (or cs2cs for that matter) to this projection to transform
> coordinates from lat/lon and I assume the same ellipsoid. My problem is
> that I did not find any documentation on how to set up this rotated
> stereographic projection with proj4.
>
> Any help would be really appreciated.

Appears to be a truely oblique projection and not in the tradition of
proj=stere where the pole is on the CM.

Is a spherical earth used?  In the case of a spherical earth one could use the
combination of proj=ob_tran and stere.  Otherwise, if it is a azimuthal
stereographic, I do not know of anyway proj or libproj could handle it
without development.

Sheeesh.  I wonder what the rational for this beast was?  Class exercise?