[Proj] Question on colon DMS format

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun May 17 20:29:42 EST 2009

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

> If this august group of potential users can make an IRON-CLAD guarantee that
> latin-1, UTF-8, or whatever set is univerally available to a *all* potential
> users and usable in C format operations, I would add the degree mark to the
> system.

If you remember our last discussion of internationalisation issues, we
can't even guarantee that "Basic, old time, standard ASCII" is
universally available to all potential users, although anyone who
isn't using an ASCII-compatible encoding will invariably be capable of
dealing with the issues themselves.

There are ways of determining whether the current locale has a degree
sign, and if so the correct code for it. OTOH, you don't necessarily
know whether you should be using the locale. E.g. just because the
locale's decimal "point" is a comma, that doesn't mean that you should
output floating-point values in that format.