[Proj] lat/long format question

Roger Oberholtzer roger at opq.se
Fri Oct 30 07:09:48 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 13:19 +0100, Jean-Claude REPETTO wrote:
> Roger Oberholtzer a écrit :
> > Is there a way to tell proj4 that the lat/long values are, say, degrees
> > and fractions of degrees (dd.dddd), or degrees and minutes and fractions
> > of minutes (ddmm.mmmm)? I don't see this mentioned in the docs. I have
> > no trouble converting them, but in my use, it would be ever so much
> > easier if the conversion was handled in proj. Just curious.
> >

> proj4 accepts both formats :
>
> $ proj +init=epsg:32631
> 3.5 43.5
> 540422.19	4816462.79
> 3d30.000' 43d30.000'
> 540422.19	4816462.79

My data is a third representation:

3.5 in dd.ddd is 330.0 in ddmm.mmmm
43.5 in dd.ddd is 4330.0 in ddmm.mmmm

The ddmm.mmmm format is how Trimble receivers provide lat/long values in
NMEA GGA records, while the dd.dddd format is what Garmin receivers
provide in their NMEA GGA records.

My absolute preference would be to be able to tell the garmin to provide
ddmm.mmmm, and not dd.ddd. The users of the Garmin claim this is not
possible. So I am exploring options.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST