[Proj] ntf_r93.gsb file corrupted

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 24 13:49:54 EST 2009

Cuinet Jérôme wrote:
> A question :
>
> Are not there some coordinate transformation tests which verifiy the
> calculations ?
>
> I don't know how often mistakes appears, but this type of tests don't seems
> to be diificult to construct.

Jérôme,

There are regression tests, but they do not include ntf_r93.gsb even now.
I would add the problem corrupted the file in a relatively subtle way that
would only be detected for a grid shift in some places.

In fact I see there is a testIGNF but it was commented out in the past when
it wasn't obvious to determine whether we had the supporting gsb file or not.

I am updating the Makefile.am to include the testIGNF and testntv2 checks
if the corresponding grid shift files seem to be available.  I'll produce a
new beta later today with these changes.

Note these are only run on unix systems.

 > A no-regression test could have been mandatory, no ? Some unusual functions
 > might be broken without anybody pick out it.

The word "manditory" has limited application in open source.  It is very rare
that I get paid for any PROJ.4 maintenance, and I'm only doing this because
when I took it on there was no one else willing to do it.

There is certainly room for additional PROJ.4 developers and contributors.