[Proj] quoting +nadgrids ?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Aug 1 13:04:33 EST 2010

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I had proposed the @@@space@@@ idea just because it wouldn't be interpreted
> anywhere else, though it is somewhat peculiar.  Can you, or anyone,
> provide an argument for a different approach?  Were you suggesting url
> encoding because it was easily extended to other escaping operations?

Mostly because it's already known, can be used to escape arbitrary
characters, the % sign seems (to me) unlikely to occur in an argument,
and the worst case for the size of an escaped string isn't too bad
(three times the size of the original string).

[Needless to say, the first question which crossed my mind regarding
the @@@space@@@ idea was: what happens if the text "@@@space@@@"
occurs in an argument value? Replacing each @ with @@@atsign@@@ would
get ugly. But that's more of a theoretical issue than a practical
one.]