[Proj] UTM -v and -V output confusing...

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:55:02 EST 2010

Hi,

I am not sure if this is a bug or just something I don't understand.

If I specify the -v option to cs2cs or proj (or the -V option to proj), the
library helpfully prints
the parameters it's using for coordinate conversion.

I am wondering whether there is a bug in the output for UTM.  For instance:

#Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
#       Cyl, Sph
#       zone= south
# +proj=utm +zone=30 +ellps=intl +towgs84=-87,-98,-121,0,0,0,0 +units=m
# +no_defs

What exactly does "zone= south" mean?  I know there's a "+south" option
that's used to specify southern
hemisphere UTM zones but zone=south is unconditionally printed as far as I
can tell.

Thanks!

carl