[Proj] Standard projection for Mediterranean basin

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Mon Feb 15 15:52:03 EST 2010

Agreed.

My point was the gentleman originally was looking for appropriate "standard" parameters for the Mediterranean region.  The old WWII Grid has such parameters albeit for a conformal projection.  Adopting a spherical projection of choice, the old parameters give a "standard" treatment for the region.  Whether it's Albers Equal Area, Lambert Equal Area, or whatever, the primary question regarding choice of parameters was answered.

Since the purpose was to choose (presumably "standard" conic) parameters for a region, the choice of a False Origin is immaterial, including where one chooses a central meridian.

If someone has an even older set of "standard" parameters for the Mediterranean region, have at it.  Betcha it's conic or close to it like a Bonne.  Anybody want Napoleon's parameters ???  I think I published it in one of my old columns on the Levant.

I believe the horse might finally be dead.

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Past National Director (2006-2008),
Photogrammetric Applications Division
American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
and
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics
Department of Civil Engineering
Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3223A
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8925 [Research]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Member Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group
http://www.asprs.org/resources/GRIDS/