No subject

Wed Feb 3 18:16:50 EST 2010

"A simple but useful way of appraising the location of the origin of an az=
imuthal projection is to plot a series of concentric circles of radii z re=
presenting the isograms of maximum Angular Deformation and those of Scale=
 Error at the scale of a convenient atlas map and to shift this overlay ab=
out on the map until a good fit is obtained between some of the extreme po=
ints of the area of mapped."

While phrased in an unnecessarily complicated way, the recommendation in=
 "Map Projections for Europe" is the equivalent of my recommendation. You=
 have a bunch of points you know are within the area of interest. Whether=
 manually (as described in that publication) or programmatically, you need=
 to find the smallest small circle that circumscribes them all. I don't kn=
ow of any non-iterative method for doing that, though possibly one could=
 be devised. As an algorithmic process, it is not difficult, but unlike Al=
bers, it is not just a matter of observing the most northerly and most sou=
therly points.

I note that you talk about comparing Albers to LAEA. Once you know the opt=
imal LAEA you can do that, since the distortion values at the extremes of=
 the region of interest can be computed by known formul=E6 once the parame=
ters for the projection are known.

Can I interpret your inquiry to mean that you want to know (presumably in=
 complete detail) the algorithm for finding the projection center of the=
 optimal LAEA for a region, given a list of points in that region? Or are=
 you just wondering if one could be devised?

Regards,
=97 daan Strebe