[Proj] PROJ.4 installation question under Solaris

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 25 23:17:06 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Dan Scheirer <dssmailing at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The "./configure --prefix=..." and "make" steps seem to complete
> without error.  However, I am puzzled by the proj version that I have created.
>
> When I execute the ksh-wrapper, I get the expected result:
> % proj-4.7.0/src/proj
> Rel. 4.7.1, 23 September 2009
> usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]
>
> However, when I execute the executable pointed-to by
> the ksh-wrapper, I get an old version string...equivalent to
> the one built in /usr/local/bin:
> % proj-4.7.0/src/.libs/proj
> Rel. 4.5.0, 22 Oct 2006
> usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]
> % /usr/local/bin/proj
> Rel. 4.5.0, 22 Oct 2006
> usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]

Dan,

The problem is if you execute the executable directly it
does a normal search of the shared library path to find
the libproj.so shared library to use, and ends up getting
the old one from /usr/local/lib.

If you run the wrapper script, it does some magic to ensure
it picks up the right shared library.

What I would normally do in this case is define the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable with
my local build ahead of the default locations.   I'm
not sure if things work exactly the same on Solaris
though - the env. variable name may be different.