[Proj] PROJ.4 installation question under Solaris

Dan Scheirer dssmailing at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 25 20:01:54 EST 2010

Greetings,

I'm hoping someone can provide advice to building multiple versions
of proj on Solaris machines.  I wasn't able to find answers at:
http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/

I wish to manually build/install the latest PROJ.4 (from proj-4.7.0.tar.gz)
in my own user-space on two Solaris machines.  I do not have root-access
on these machines.  Old versions of PROJ.4 (4.5.0 and 4.4.9)
are installed in /usr/local/bin.

The "./configure --prefix=..." and "make" steps seem to complete
without error.  However, I am puzzled by the proj version that I have created.

When I execute the ksh-wrapper, I get the expected result:
% proj-4.7.0/src/proj
Rel. 4.7.1, 23 September 2009
usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]

However, when I execute the executable pointed-to by
the ksh-wrapper, I get an old version string...equivalent to
the one built in /usr/local/bin:
% proj-4.7.0/src/.libs/proj
Rel. 4.5.0, 22 Oct 2006
usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]
% /usr/local/bin/proj
Rel. 4.5.0, 22 Oct 2006
usage: proj [ -beEfiIlormsStTvVwW [args] ] [ +opts[=arg] ] [ files ]

If I "make install", I simply get the results seen in proj-4.7.0/src/.libs/proj
placed into my BINDIR.  I ran the above proj commands with
the -lp option, and I see indeed that the projection lists are different
(and correspond to the 4.7.0 and 4.5.0 versions...e.g. gstmerc
is only in the more recent release).

My difficulty probably stems from my lack-of-knowledge of
ksh's exec command.  It's possible, too, that I'm mixing GNU
and non-GNU program-building tools, but I tried some configure
flags (CC=, F77=) that I thought would separate things
entirely...but no difference.

Any advice to get the updated proj in: proj-4.7.0/src/.libs/proj
and thus in my BINDIR?  Any on-line place to look for
this sort of information?

Many thanks,
Dan Scheirer

FYI, the two machines have: