[Proj] grid shift file installation on ubuntu

Bryan Keith bryan at ideotrope.org
Fri Mar 26 12:33:23 EST 2010

Hello,

I recently noticed that cs2cs was returning incorrect results on my Ubuntu
machine.  I looked at the proj.4 readme file, and it gave this example of
using cs2cs:

cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD27 +to +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83
-117 30

producing:

117d0'2.901"W   30d0'0.407"N 0.00

However, on machine I get no datum shift:

cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD27 +to +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83
-117 30
117dW	30dN 0.000

I tried reinstalling proj like this:

sudo apt-get --reinstall install proj

but it didn't make any difference.  How can I get proj.4 to be installed
correctly with the grid shift files on Ubuntu?

Thank you for any help.

Bryan