[Proj] truble to translate coordinates from WGS84 to EPSG:31287

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Wed Nov 3 08:30:44 EST 2010

Mikael,

If you merely "fiddle" the projection parameters (CM, lat0, scale, false
coordinates, parallels maybe, etc.), the "direct projection" method might be
regarded as a "dirty hack".  But the paper you cited two years ago:

http://www.fig.net/pub/fig2006/papers/ps05_03/ps05_03_04_engberg_lilje_0670.pdf

presents a methodical process for determining the parameters optimally (i.e.
by least-squares constraint applied to the the survey data).  Seems rigorous
and innovative to me.  And if the projection used is conformal, then the
"direction projection" method is by definition conformal, too (i.e.
preserves the angles of intersecting lines).  The 7-parameter transformation
is also conformal, but multiple regression equations (MRE) and grid methods
(NADCON, NTv2) are not.  A pertinent question would be, does "direct
projection" fit the data better than a 7-parameter transformation?

Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)