[Proj] truble to translate coordinates from WGS84 to EPSG:31287

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Nov 3 11:01:50 EST 2010

Noel,

I didn't use the least squares method to derive my direct projection.
(I didn't have any survey data.)  Instead, my goal was to emulate the
result of the 7-parameter datum shift.  So I basically fiddled the
parameters, using very few test points.

> A pertinent question would be, does "direct projection"
> fit the data better than a 7-parameter transformation?

My feeling is that when you modify projection parameters
very slightly, the effects on the projected grid can
be described as parallel translation, scaling and rotation
- to a first approximation.  Therefore, one should
expect that direct projection can give equally good
accuracy as a 7-parameter transform. Not much better,
but not much worse.

In the paper by Engberg and Lilje, they could usually
emulate a 7-parameter transform with a few decimeters
error.  I think this suggests that the two methods
are (nearly) equally powerful.

For some projection types, though, like Mercator,
one cannot implement any rotation by fiddling with a
parameter.  (Perhaps one could replace a Mercator by
a Lambert Conformal Conic with a standard parallel
very near the equator.)

In the MGI / Austria Lambert example, I found that
it was easy to fiddle with the projection parameters,
since one (or two) parameters controls either rotation,
scaling or parallel translation.

 * the choice of central longitude controls the rotation of the grid;
 * the choice of standard parallels controls the scaling of the grid;
 * the choice of false easting and northing controls the parallel translation.

So I could improve rotation, scaling, and translation independently.
That is, I didn't have to backtrack.  (I think it is easier with a
conic projection, since changing the central longitude causes a
rotation of the grid and nothing else.  With a Transverse Mercator,
a small change of the central longitude causes mainly a rotation,
but also some very small other distortions.)

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
Sweden
http://www.carmenta.com