[Proj] Transformations in small areas - was Stereo 1970 (EPSG31700)

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Fri Oct 8 11:44:07 EST 2010

In my PE&RS column on the Grids and Datums of Namibia, I quoted Professor Charles Merry, now retired from the University of Cape Town:

... "Turning now to Namibia, the results for this datum are summarized ... Although the rotations are not as large as those in Zimbabwe and are barely significant, they do serve to model distortions in the geodetic network and hence provide an improved fit between this network and the CTS.  Again it must be emphasized that these rotations have no physical interpretation.  As in all the countries investigated, except for South Africa, the scale factor plays no major role.  Although the seven-parameter set does improve the fit, it is by no means as remarkable an improvement as that experienced in Zimbabwe and it is debatable whether the extra effort is worth it.  Consequently, we recommend that (the-Ed.) three-parameter transformation shown: ?X = +616.6 m ±1.3 m, ?Y = +103.0 m  ±1.3 m, ?Z = -256.6 m ±1.3 m.  ... As in Zimbabwe, the Namibian networks suffer from significant distortions but in this case a seven-parameter transformation provides little improvement over a three-parameter transformation."

I have used 7-parameter transformations from time-to-time in the past several decades of my practice, but when I have done so, I took particular notice of the distance of the country/region of interest from the origin point of the classical datum.  When close, I use the Bursa-Wolfe 7-parameter model (such as the distance of Trinidad & Tobago from La Canoa, Venezuela), and when a great distance from the datum origin (such as the distance of the City of Guayaquil, Ecuador from La Canoa, Venezuela), I have used the Molodensky model.  The differentiation allows scaling of the translation parameters.  There is zero difference in the accuracy of the resultant transformation, it just "looks" better when perusing the relative magnitudes of the translation parameters for other countries in the region.  Who cares about the "look?"  The local government's Federal Agency with jurisdiction for official approval.

One can see that there are diminishing returns in blindly increasing the area in order to justify a 7-parameter transformation.  Areas can increase so large that there are too many local distortions in varying meridianol chains to allow a single transformation of any type other than a "surface fit" such as implemented with a NadCon or NTv2 approach.  The generalization one can make for this is ... it depends ...  :-)

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics
Department of Civil Engineering
Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3223A
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4578 [Research]
Cell: (225) 238-8975 [Academic & Research]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Fellow Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group