[Proj] How to convert a sphere to ellipsoid with correct datum?

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue Sep 7 05:10:24 EST 2010

  Thanks Mikkael, I'll follow that road too. I corresponded over this
with a Dutch geodesist who programmed a datum conversion tool (Jan
Hendrikse, http://members.home.nl/hendrikse/), but the results were not
as good as transforming the triangulation points using the original PROJ
formula, and afterwards rubbersheeting them to their exact modern
position. There was a problem wit GDAL, though: it's not possible to
rubbersheet an already georeferenced map, due to a limitation in the
Geotiff format. I think now that it can be done by using the VRT format.

And there remains the question of proof. I can (and will) compute the
datum shift, and can get a map that is within 10m accuracy, about the
theoretical maximum, but is a datum shift really the reason for the
deviation? Did they really use an ellipsoid with a different center and
location in 1850? I find it hard to believe, at least I never found an
indication for that, and I read the handbooks used in 1850. And Cliff
Mugnier doesn't think it either
(http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2008-November/004042.html).

So, while I know now how to solve the problem computationally  and get a
map that is as exact as can be (thanks to all you input, thanks!), I am
still wondering about the reasons for the deviation. There could be some
legal issues (although I am not much afraid of those, it's too long
ago), but for the most I don't wont to be right for the wrong reasons.
I'm not a great believer in statistical "proofs" where the underlying
law or model is unknown.

Thanks again for all your responses,

Jan