[Proj] Meaning of aposphere

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Thu Apr 28 06:35:32 EST 2011

Well, I puzzled by how an aposphere could be different from a sphere.
However there are surfaces with constant curvature which are not
spheres.  I think if you impose additional conditions, e.g., that the
surface is closed and nowhere singular you end up with a sphere.  A
simple example of a non-spherical surface is what you get if you
partially folded up a swimming cap.  A tractrix rotated about its
aymptote gives you a surface of constant negative curvature.  I'm
uncertain whether any of these are really needed to develop map
projections.

For pictures see Eisenhardt (1909), Chap 8, Figs. 26-30:

   http://books.google.com/books?id=hkENAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA270

--
Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300