[Proj] Problem with program on Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 11 17:11:26 EST 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM,  <support.mn at elisanet.fi> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> that is the reason I have been talking about the syntax check
> to be connected to Proj.4 ... that would then give at least a warning
> (if switched on) that the user is giving meaningless input to Proj.4
> and it would handle situations like this here (and maybe several
> similar later) and minimize the input data garbage.

Janne,

It would be desirable, but it isn't something I intend to work on in
the near term.  I would note doing it properly would require
someone *knowing* the grammar.  In fact I am often not aware
of the syntax of many of the esoteric options and I'd hate to
break stuff that is working for some people.

> Syntax scanning is very easy to implement using "Recursive
> descent parser" and will not yield any massive source code.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_descent_parser

I have written lots of parsers, sometimes using parser generators
and sometimes by hand.  Depending on the interpretation of
"massive" I do not entirely agree with your statement.  I believe
having a proper parser as part of PROJ.4 would non-trivially
bulk up the project.