[Proj] Krovak again

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Aug 17 05:40:52 EST 2011

Hello Irwin.

> What is EPSG 102067?  It's not in the EPSG database.

True, there is no such thing as EPSG:102067. Someone must
have meant ESRI:102067, which is called Krovak East North.

http://spatialreference.org/ref/esri/102067/

There are basically two families of Czech-and-Slovakian
Krovak instances.

  * In the "classical" ones, for example S-JTSK / Krovak (EPSG:5513),
    the first axis (X) goes south, and the second axis Y goes west.

  * In the "GIS" variants, for example ESRI:102067, the
    axes go east and north, which is necessary in many
    GIS systems. They should have the phrase "East North"
    in their name.

A property they all share is that the grid origin
(where both projected coordinates are zero) is at the
oblique cone apex between Helsinki and Tallinn,
northeast of Czech-and-Slovakia.

This means that in the "classical" (South West) variants,
all projected coordinates are positive in Czech-and-Slovakia,
but in the GIS variants, they are negative there.

You wrote:

> The national Inspire Czech Geoportal site shows
> negative values increasing to the south and west

I don't understand that. So I hope that when you say
"negative values increasing" to the south and west,
you mean that the values become _more_ negative,
that is: the values decrease, but their absolute
values increase, towards south and west.

It took many years for EPSG to add GIS-Krovak variants,
so the ESRI codes for some Krovak variants have become
popular:

   ESRI:102065, S-JTSK Krovak
   ESRI:102066, S-JTSK Ferro Krovak East North
   ESRI:102067, S-JTSK Krovak East North

These are equivalent, as far as I know, to the recent EPSG entries

   EPSG:5513, S-JTSK / Krovak
   EPSG:5221, S-JTSK (Ferro) / Krovak East North
   EPSG:5514, S-JTSK / Krovak East North

respectively. Then, you have also the oldest variant

   EPSG:2065, S-JTSK (Ferro) / Krovak.

Furthermore, Czech authorities have introduced a modified
version of the S-JTSK datum, which is called S-JTSK/05.
With this modified datum, you must use a "Modified Krovak"
projection, which somehow compensates for distortions in
the datum realisation (I don't understand the design or purpose,
but I believe the modifications do not change coordinates
more than about 1 meter). There are four EPSG entries based
on S-JTSK/05:
    EPSG:5224, 5225, 5515 and 5516.

Best Regards,

Mikael Rittri