[Proj] large difference while projecting utm to utm back and forth

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Feb 16 12:26:43 EST 2011

Christoph,

For that much of a zone extension, you need to have additional terms in the classical expansion, say, to the fourteenth derivative for  ±24°of the Central Meridian; - or - use the closed form with nested iterative loops as now implemented in ESRI software.  Most people don't use that because of the extreme convergence angle between Grid North and True North is counter-productive for large-scale mapping.  If it's not large-scale (1:50,000 or larger), why use UTM?

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics
Department of Civil Engineering
Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3223A
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4578 [Research]
Cell: (225) 328-8975 [Academic & Research]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Fellow Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group