[Proj] large difference while projecting utm to utm back andforth

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 06:15:33 EST 2011

Christoph,
Why, if I may ask, do you HAVE to use UTM.  Whose rules?  If your work
requires you to span 5 UTM zones, shouldn't you be questioning the "rules"?
Lambert Conformal Conic (LCC) is a better choice of projection for east-west
extents.  You may be lucky to eventually get access to etmerc to span these
UTM zones without algorithmic error, but those with whom you share your maps
or computations may not be so lucky.  There may be disagreements.  But
everyone has access to an appropriate LCC.
Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)