[Proj] NGS Control Points

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Jun 22 14:21:54 EST 2011

I did a search on this "Bench Mark."  It has practically zero records in the National Database other than an elevation listed as an integer (6) and a horizontal position truncated to integer arc seconds.  This is apparently a coordinate that was scaled off of a topographic map and such "positions" are not considered good to better than  ±100 feet.

Now using an official datum transformation package such as NADCON can commonly yield positions to an accuracy of up to ±0.1 foot, but the final value can not be better than the original accuracy of the point.  There's more than one lookup table for NADCPN depending on whether you are using original NAD83 adjustment values, or one of the more specialized adjustments since NAD83 was first published.  As far as I know, there's only two available versions of lookup tables for NADCON: the original adjustment and the HARN adjustment and the latter can only be used in concert with the former - it is a sequential process.

I suspect the point you used as an example is at best an intersection stations and was never occupied.

         Pid    Name                                    Lat        Lon           Elev    O o Hv
  ------ ----------------------------- ---------- ----------- --------- - - --
>HT0774 A C OF SF                     37 46 15. /122 23 53.       6.     1     N

There's a new adjustment of the NAD83 that is being published on July 15th of this year.  The new "biggie" will be NAD22 in 2022.

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics
Department of Civil Engineering
Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3531
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4578 [Research]
Cell: (225) 328-8975 [Academic & Research]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Fellow Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group