[Proj] Ellipsoidal Orthographic

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Tue Jun 28 13:41:28 EST 2011

Charles,

Using the closed form for the geocentric inverse is OK for surface mapping, but for a more universal application that will work with aerial photography and particularly with satellite imagery, the closed form deteriorates with altitude above the ellipsoid.  The iterative form will accommodate orbital imagery altitudes with no loss in computational precision.  That's a significant consideration since the "Oil Patch" indeed uses orbital imagery in their exploration activities.

Cliff

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics
Department of Civil Engineering
Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3531
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4578 [Research]
Cell: (225) 328-8975 [Academic & Research]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Fellow Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group