[Proj] Ellipsoidal Orthographic

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Tue Jun 28 14:13:58 EST 2011

Cliff,

My remarks were about the orthographic projection; so in this case we
are talking about a point on the surface of the ellipsoid.

However, the closed form solution of the 3d problem (given [x,y,z], find
[phi,lam,h]) which entails solving a quartic equation *can* be made
accurate for any values of [x,y,z].  If you want to give me some
"challenge" coordinates to test out, I can feed them into
GeographicLib's CartConvert to see what pops out.

   --Charles

On 06/28/11 14:41, Clifford J Mugnier wrote:
> Charles,
> Using the closed form for the geocentric inverse is OK for surface
> mapping, but for a more universal application that will work with aerial
> photography and particularly with satellite imagery, the closed form
> deteriorates with altitude above the ellipsoid. The iterative form will
> accommodate orbital imagery altitudes with no loss in computational
> precision. That's a significant consideration since the "Oil Patch"
> indeed uses orbital imagery in their exploration activities.
> Cliff
> Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
> Chief of Geodesy,
> *Center for GeoInformatics*
> Department of Civil Engineering
> Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3531
> *LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY *
> Baton Rouge, LA70803
> Voice and Facsimile:(225) 578-8536 [Academic]
> Voice and Facsimile:(225) 578-4578 [Research]
> Cell: (225) 328-8975 [Academic & Research]
> Honorary Life Member of the
> Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
> Fellow Emeritus of the ASPRS
> Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group

Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300
Tel: +1 609 734 2312