[Proj] ogr2ogr to convert KML files into ESRI Shapefiles?

Eric Miller EMiller at dfg.ca.gov
Thu Mar 3 11:09:47 EST 2011

Shapefiles are written with one geometry type.   I suspect there are
additional options for ogr2ogr to specify the geometry type for the
shapefile.  If you want both point and line features, you'll probably
need two shapefiles.  You might want to read
http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_shapefile.html and
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQVector#HowdoItranslateamixedgeometryfiletoshapefileformat
.
--