[Proj] wgs84 northings and eastings

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Fri May 27 05:45:26 EST 2011

Roger,
you wrote:

> Would I then remove the +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 as well? Or do I need both?

You would remove +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 and only use the nadgrids parameter.

> which it calls World Mercator. ... perhaps this more suited to my original goal?

Maybe. First you need to know that World Mercator
is a different projection than Web Mercator.
The projected coordinates for the same position
differs a lot (tens of kilometers). So don't confuse
them if you exchange data in Mercator.

WGS 84 / World Mercator uses the ellipsoidal projection
formulas based on the WGS 84 ellipsoid. Nothing strange
there.

WGS 84 / Web Mercator uses the simpler spherical projection
formulas, but the long/lat on the WGS 84 ellipsoid are
interpreted as if they were long/lat on a sphere, without
any conversion.  This interpretation is wrong, technically,
and has the consequence that WGS 84 / Web Mercator is not an
exactly conformal mapping from the WGS 84 ellipsoid. But it
is nearly conformal, and projection can be done more efficiently.

Noel Zinn has made a detailed presentation about Web Mercator:

http://www.hydrometronics.com/downloads/Web%20Mercator%20-%20Non-Conformal,%20Non-Mercator%20(full).pdf

My personal opinion is that Web Mercator isn't so bad if you
don't need exact conformality.  Noel Zinn dislikes the Web
Mercator more than I do, but I don't think there is any
concrete fact that we disagree about, so I certainly
recommend his presentation.

Regards,
Mikael Rittri
Carmenta