[Proj] Algorithms & Plate Carrée

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Sun Jul 22 14:34:15 EST 2012

Irwin,

Your question can be interpreted in many ways and it's not clear to me what
you really mean.  But let me address one interpretation, that of
registration.

A former colleague of mine used published WGS84 coordinates of airport
runways and VOR/DME all over the world, north and south, east and west, and
picked the ties in Google Earth (because the targets are visible).  Most
often the ties were sub 5 meters.  Less often they were 15 meters or more.
If the WGS84 registration is of this magnitude, so, too, the UTM.

This is one way of answering your question.  Take it for what it's worth.

Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)